• Copy failed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All about the visualization and interpretation of RAMMS model results
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interesting mass movement for RAMMS training

Interesting mass movement for RAMMS training 6 years 6 months ago #65

Do you know this case?
It was a large landslide on Aoraki - Mount Cook National Park in New Zealand, ocurred 21st January 2013, detached from west face of Mount Dixon.

Reports about how it was seen from Plateau Hut under way after rockslide, and the climbers evacuation.

It was a rock avalanche with snow and ice entrainment along the track, and changing the movement mechanism from granular fluidized mass at high velocity, to a slow slide on the plateau with clear creep behavior.
It is a complex granular flow that I suggest to be calculated with RAMMS as a back-analysis.

Some videos to take an idea:
Landslide seen from Plateau Hut:

Helicopter fligth:

Report with interviews:

Another point of view of the avalanche

Dave Petley in his AGU-blog made a preliminary interpretation.
I added some comments to this.

I think that is more or less the opposite of a debrisflow formation:
- For debrisflow, normally first is the flowing water (liquid hydraulics) and, exceeding a discharge treshold, the erosion becomes suddenly very relevant, what means the entrainment of solid particles to perform a bi-phase flow (rocks in water).
- In this case, first is the debris part, and due the entrainement it appears the matrix part of the bi-phase flow (rocks in snow), or perhaps a multi-phase granular flow.

In summary, the mixture of rock-ice-snow-water-air is explaining the rehological properties of the flow in this final part of the track.

What do you think about?
Nice case to be modeled with RAMMS?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Interesting mass movement for RAMMS training 6 years 6 months ago #66

• Yves
  • Administrator
Dear Marc

Thanks a lot for the nice movies. We heard about this event. I hope we will find time to do some investigations on that case soon.
Dr. Yves Bühler
WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF
Avalanches, debris flows and rockfall research unit
Flüelastrasse 11 CH-7260 Davos Dorf
Tel: +41 81 4170 163
Fax: +41 81 4170 110
E.mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds

Affiliation

Banner
Banner

© SLF/WSL 2010